Wednesday 15 December 2021

RIP Betty


From Facebook archives

15 December 2017 at 15:26 ·

Many years ago I came into the house and said to himself 

"I bumped into the four housewives of the apocalypse on the corner."  

They were Flo, Joan, Willa and Betty, retired ladies of our road who could frequently be found chatting on the pavement or over the fence.

I've just heard the sad news that the last survivor, Betty, has passed away.

She was 91 and lived independently (with family support) until the last week of her life.

Her son just kindly knocked on my door to give me details of the funeral.

So I suppose there will soon be another house up for sale.

 

My enduring memory of Betty is of looking out of my bedroom window and seeing her climb out of her front bedroom window onto the (flat) top of her bay-window with a small step ladder and a bucket.  She proceeded to clean the outside of her bedroom window, climbing up the steps to reach the top.  I was impressed.

But not as impressed as when I saw her hop across onto the top of her porch (also flat) with the steps and bucket to clean the window above that.
When I mentioned it to her the next time I saw her she said "Well I'm past my sell by date so every day's a bonus"

She must have been well over 70 at the time.

 

PS I've had a lovely break thank you.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment