Thursday 30 December 2021

Knitted Knee Caps

I find it intrusive and annoying when Post Office counter staff ask what’s in any parcel I’m sending.  If I were sending explosives or other contraband I’d be unlikely to admit it so what’s the point in asking?   
But I always tell the truth, sometimes at length.

From Facebook Archives

30 December 2013 at 15:40

Just been up to the Post Office

"What's in there?" asked the Asian lady postmistress of my package.

"A pair of hand knitted knee caps"

God bless her she didn't bat an eyelid

... and I wasn't being sarcastic either

Madame Fifi  What are hand knitted knee caps? I'm an oldie but I don't know what they are...
Bentonbag  I have an ancient pattern book (or rather knitting recipe book) with 2 versions in.  They're like short leg warmers just for around the knee.   
My sister's mother-in-law is 98, chair-bound in a care-home and finds her knees get cold, but doesn’t want to use a blanket (“like some old lady").  Bigsister asked me if there was something I could knit for her and I took great delight in saying 
"Oh yes, I have a pattern for knitted knee caps".. 
I made a pair for the goddaughter last Xmas.. 
My Mum had a WW2 RAF pattern for stuff to knit to keep aircrew warm which included kneecaps but it vanished when the house was cleared.
Madame Fifi I've got a pattern from WW2 days that was my mothers and it seems you can make a vest and socks from one ball of wool. Those were the days. I will investigate.
StBernard  I wonder if the Asian post mistress would've batted an eyelid if you'd said "Something with which to knee cap my sister's mother-in-law" 😁
McChurch  Now, if you had said you could knit knee joints, I would have been on your doorstep tomorrow wiv a chuffin great ball of wool.
Madame Fifi  I think I've missed the point, saying that I have been to the music session and drank loads???? I'm sharing.
Goddaughter  I still have mine somewhere... With matching leg warmers!

 

1 comment:

  1. I need the recipe! I was once in a very long line at the PO and when asked what was in the parcel my brain fog decided to have some fun. I knew what it was but had no words to tell anyone what it was. This of course didn't go away the more concerned I got about the ever growing line. The word I was trying to find (or describe) was tablets!

    ReplyDelete