Tuesday 14 June 2022

My Mother's Daughter

Please do not think I am an inveterate gambler.  

It’s just that around this time the Journal was offering free £3 bets on horseracing at Chisholms Bookmakers.  So on Saturday mornings I would look for three names I liked, trot up with my slip and voucher and have an interesting afternoon watching the racing.  As soon as the offer stopped Chisholms saw me no more.
From Facebook Archives
15 June 2014 at 14:01
Two things this week proved that I am my mother's daughter and do have standards:-
1. Being no longer able to stand the sight of people making tea by putting teabags in paper cups and squeezing them out with their fingers, 
I took mother's teapot to a Woodlawn School Meet'n'Greet on Friday so we could make parents a 'proper cup of tea'.  As well as being more aesthetically pleasing we used fewer teabags and made a lot less mess.
2. This morning I heard myself saying 
"I am not going to fetch my winnings from the bookies in my slippers." 
(£2 Guest of Honour 2.50 at York)

No comments:

Post a Comment