Wednesday 22 June 2022

WI Talk

LlandeiloGrammar School believed that at its pupils would go on to lives and careers where they would need to make speeches, give talks and confidently speak up in meetings and other occasions.  In order to prepare us for this there was a weekly Speech Training lesson in our first year with the indomitable Miss Yvonne Watkin-Rees. 

From Facebook Archives.

22 June 2021 at 15:24

If anyone was wondering why I blogged so late today, it's because I slept in until 9.05. So by the time I was up and showered Thunderthighs was on the computer for his college Zoom meeting.

I think I slept so soundly because I was coming down from doing a zoom talk to Jesmond WI last night.  Mrs Leftfoot proposed in January that I do a talk on Mothering Autism and, not wanting to let her or them down, I put some time into preparing a long enough talk (4834 words) and accompanying pictures.  I actually cobbled it together using things I've said or written in other places,  but it still took quite a bit of work to polish it.  Then select twenty odd pictures because nobody wants to just look at my face for forty minutes solid.

I had a zoom practice with President yesterday afternoon and I now know how to share screens and images.

Because, as the manager of Monument Mall used to say, "Proper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance."
They were very kind and the President has asked if I'd like to be put on the list of WI speakers, so I said yes.
And I got a very complimentary email from her, and text from Mrs Leftfoot this morning.
They're sending me a cheque for £30, which I shall donate to LD:NorthEast.

The mountain of ironing grows apacee!

Miss Yvonne Watkins-Rees' work was not in vain: only Llandeilo Grammar School alumni will understand that reference

Miss Doozer  Well done, and if you ever need zoom advice, let me know. I spend half my life on the sodding thing

Mrs Bursar  Well done, Ben. xx
Mrs Leftfoot   It was humbling to listen to and there were tears in my eyes more than once... usually it's tears of laughter when we are together, but not this time.  Thank you for taking this on, Ben. Xxx
Bess Cavalier  Well done - we said you would be fine.
Bentonbag  I've had the most lovely email from the Secretary.
Tylebach Mawr  Well done Ben - Miss Yvonne Watkins-Rees - a name from the mists of time!
McChurch  If you want something done, ask the one who`s already too busy.  You will fit it all in I bet, but think about using the £30 to get someone to do your ironing. Just sayin` like.
Ms ME  I remember Ms Yvonne Watkin-Rees very well.  My class had to pay to have her suit cleaned because a few of us (we wouldn’t say who) had put glue on her chair. She always sat for the lesson & at the end she was stuck.
It wasn’t so funny explaining to parents why we needed money

No comments:

Post a Comment