Thursday 25 January 2024

A Burns Supper


When Scots Wahey and Wallace bled
Young Rabbie Burns he wet the bed
And blamed it on his brother Ned
The dirrty heiland laddie oh
                                   George Welch

The photo was taken at Carter Bar, the border between Northumberland and Scotland, where there are sometimes wonderful views over the Lowlands.  Ferretfingers was pleased that the piper who is normally there delighting the tourists with his tunes wasn't.

From Facebook archives

25 January 2018 at 20:34 
Yesterday evening Ferretfingers started demanding "Haggis tomorrow".   
We asked in the various food stores around Benton but finally found loads in Tesco (half price).  With the cook still bed ridden tea was prepared by Thunderthighs and me.   
He read the instructions and microwaved a haggis whilst I prepared "knock-off Smash" (his words), split a swede with the cleaver and progged it prior to microwaving it as well.  Mrs Leftfoot told me about microwaving swedes and it works (although maybe takes longer than I bargained for) and there's no peeling, which makes life a lot easier.
So my boys and I sat down together to a Burns supper, of sorts.   
Thunderthighs likes haggis, tolerated the mash after application of salt and tomato ketchup, tried the swede but decided against.  
Ferretfingers refused any neeps but is still working his way through a mound of mash and haggis.
I shall shortly pour myself a large Baileys in honour of the Bard of Ayrshire.
I'm hoping the alcohol will fight off whatever bug has felled Fester.
Leftfoot  Glad to have been of help. X
Burney  Please give Fester a cuddle from me.
Bentonbag  I'd rather not at the moment, he's sweaty and hasn't had a bath today.
Ms Marx  Hope you saved him some!  Leftfoot , what's the swede secret?
Leftfoot  Pierce it and cook like a baked potato in the microwave.  Ben's right, it does take quite a while.. I'd forgotten.  But it saves having to peel it.
I cannot remember the last time I told anyone anything "useful"!!!!
Woolerwoman  Wow I would never have believed it.  The swede thing I mean.  So, that's how to cook it - just need a log-splitter or similar to cut into a whole one.
Bentonbag  We have a hachet style cleaver that came from Fester's flat.  It's a bit uncontrolled but works!

No comments:

Post a Comment