Saturday 20 January 2024

Shostakovich

From Facebook Archives
20 January 2023 at 19.35
I'm trying to decide whether to download this week's Composer of the Week onto my mp3 player.
"Who is it?" asks Fester.
"Shostakovich.  I'm not sure I fancy it."
"Well it depends on what they play."
We look at the list of tunes.
"You've got to watch his symphonies" says the oracle...
Then
"Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk!  Stalin didn't like it and neither do I." (And they agree on so much else!)
“I blame Dick Gutters”.
"Why are you blaming him?"
"Well you shared a flat with him for how many years?"
"Oh I can't remember ... it's all an alcoholic blur."
Dick Gutters  If it’s to do with alcohol you probably have a point.  Worth noting though, that D Shost was quite a boozer, also a chain smoker…But I don’t think I’ve ever heard any Shost I didn’t like, so doubly my fault! 
Love to both x

No comments:

Post a Comment