Sunday 14 January 2024

Winter Gardening



 

A while ago Mrs Quilt gave me, amongst other things, four chimney pots that had lived in her backyard garden.  They’ve sat outside the garage since.

The fence between our back garden lawn and drive gave up the battle with the Loch Ness blackberry a while ago.  Last summer I pulled as much as possible of it away.   

In the past few days I’ve taken the Loch Ness down to the ground and cleared as much accumulated earth and stuff off the concrete on the drive side.

Last time I pruned the blackcurrants I shoved all the bits into three large pots of compost and many of them have struck.

Today these elements have all been brought together.

I rolled the chimney pots over to the fence line and put them over the stubs of Loch Ness, one has nothing beneath it but soil and concrete.

Thunderthighs dug me a trench a spade-width’s deep and wide and about six foot long, on the lawn side all along the back of the ceramics.  We put all the blackcurrant cuttings into this, and he filled it back up again.

I then pruned the original (ten foot high) blackcurrants and shoved those cuttings into the soft ground as well.

The plan is to have a pot ‘fence’ with a blackcurrant hedge behind.  I shall keep that down to about three foot to stop it interfering with stuff on the washing line.

As Miss Doozer next door said, from her back bedroom window, it’s more of a deterrence than a fence but nobody’s going to want to climb over those spiky things.

While Thunderthighs was digging, Ferretfingers and I sawed up last year’s Christmas tree and some driftwood into logs for the fire.

Then we emptied the last two potato tubs and bucket onto a large polythene sheet (came with a mattress in) .  He does enjoy ferreting out the potatoes.  The compost was put into the wheelbarrow and tipped out onto the raised bed; which has become the local cats’ litter tray.

I believe the Loch Ness will leap out of the top of the pots.  If it doesn’t they will be used for tomatoes or other potted produce.

It all looks a bit messy and scrappy at the moment, but who knows what the Spring will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment