Monday 23 August 2021

In The Bag

As Facebook archives has thrown up nothing useful for today, I am grateful to OldestBestFriend for allowing me to cannibalise the email she sent me yesterday.
She and her husband are in the process of moving into his late parents’ house.  Tudor is a builder/painter/decorator/handyman and is remodelling and refurbishing the house to their requirements.

The Material For A Sitcom

Having been brought up on a farm I don’t tend to be fazed by spiders, mice, rats etc, however last Saturday was the exception.  I have spent most of the summer sorting out stuff in Llundain Street and Alfred Road (house we are moving into).  Tudor has now finished converting the attic into a craft room for me with storage at either end for general attic stuff.  This means that most of my stuff has now moved over to Alfred Road and is either in the attic storage space or craft room.

My mother in law (Mary ) was an avid knitter and sewer, so there is a lot of stuff of hers to go through and sort (mostly done now).

Last time I was in Llandeilo I brought some wool to make a cardigan and needed to look for my knitting needles.  On Saturday I got my knitting box out to find the needles and thought I might as well sort out the wool Mary had stashed away at the same time.  Another thing that would be sorted.  I take the box and various carrier bags of wool from the landing into the attic to look through and keep or pass on.  I am happily sorting and pulling out various balls of wool from the carrier bags until I put my hand in one bag and pull out a dead rat.  Being brought up on a farm did not help this time, I screamed.

The funniest thing about this is how it came about and being totally unintentional on Tudor’s part.

Alfred Road is next to the park and due to people leaving food after picnics etc it encourages rats.  These have come into the house and attic.  We put down some poison blocks (the sort we use on the farm).  As a result of this Tudor found a deceased rat in the attic, picked it up and put it in an empty carrier bag ready to be got rid of and left the carrier on the floor of the attic craft room to collect later.  I come along unaware of this, drop the bags of wool from the landing on the floor of the attic then scoop up the rat carrier with the wool bags.

 🐁

 

I forwarded OBF’s email to my sisters with the comment

... and Bigsister thought it was bad enough finding a set of teeth in Mum's dinner lady overalls.”

(Mother's Teeth)

Middlesister replied

Also found a bar of out of date chocolate in another item of clothing . I would have disposed of it but family pressure insisted we share it and we live to tell the "tail" fortunately not a rat's !xx"

No comments:

Post a Comment