Sunday 19 April 2020

Dancing Photos


If you thought yesterday’s admission was shocking...

 Looking for something else I came across the photo that caused Mrs Quilt to dub me Mediatart. (Oh yes it was, she can't deny it, 
I remember being shocked at her using such language).   
I was demonstrating North West Clog Morris stepping on BBC Radio Newcastle's Blue Bus show one May Day morning - as you do.  It was not the first time I’d been involved in clog dancing on the radio.

I was Cheshire Skipping which, to do properly you have to have your body, thigh, lowerleg and foot (i.e. hip, knee and ankle joints) at right angles at the top of the step.  You can't really see that in a full skirt, so I hoiked it up.  That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

This one of me trying to cool down during a hot day of dance in Ripon was captioned "Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough" by the Drummerman.

The Ripon Morrismen’s day of dance was interesting.   
They didn’t really know Tyne Bridge Morris all that well so were very polite during the morning spots.   
This does not come naturally to many Yorkshiremen (I’m married to one) and they sometimes spill over into obsequiousness. 
Lunch was in a real ale pub (where else?) and as we got ourselves settled around some tables Ripon’s bagman came over and said
“We thought some of you laydeees might want to go shopping so we’ve made it a long lunchbreak.  Two hours ok?”
Mrs Quilt and Mrs Banjoman looked as if they’d been hit with a wet fish. 
After a few moments stunned silence Mrs Banjoman and I burst out laughing.
“Shopping!?! You what?!”
There followed another moment’s silence while Ripon absorbed this reaction, followed by huge grins, rubbing of hands together and
“Oh!  Real Wimmin!  Get the drinks in!”
Politeness vanished, replaced with comradeship and banter.
Dances during the afternoon was accompanied by regular calls of
“Get them knees up lasses.”

No comments:

Post a Comment