Sunday 12 April 2020

What's this ear or Necessity is the mother of invention


Ferretfingers can't stand music.
Or at least can’t stand any music he hasn’t chosen.
For many years tv watching has been punctuated with cries of “Turn the music off”.
We had to hit the mute button on every ad break.
In about 2012 I realised our new tv had a headphone socket.
So I purchased a pair of headphones and a 2 metre (6ft) ish long headphone lead.
For a while this allowed me to watch tv in relative peace.
But it was really limiting in what I was able to do whilst viewing.   
Certainly no moving around, or ironing, and knitting meant it got caught up in the yarn.
Then there was the day I lost my temper with a tangle, gave it a yank and the tv flew gracefully to the floor. 
Well “didn’t so much fly as plummet” as Fester is wont to say when gravity takes control.
The answer lay in cordless headphones.
There’s a base station which plugs into the tv’s headphone socket and AAA battery powered headphones.  The good quality sound range is about 4 metres/12 ft and the same wide, which is enough for us.
Now when incidental music gets too much for him the cry goes up "Cordless!"
I make Ferretfingers put them on when he’s maniacally flitting through channels, recordings or Youtube.  Three or four seconds of noise suddenly switching to three or four seconds of another random noise at random (usually loud) volume is very aggravating.  It’s not for nothing this sort of thing is used as a form of torture.
I can’t actually remember how many years ago we got them and, as you can see, they've been well worn.
The ear pads wore out and fell off ages ago, making them quite uncomfortable to wear.
Last night I was inspired to crochet a new pair using some chunky wool.
It works!

No comments:

Post a Comment