Friday 24 April 2020

Marrows Courgettes, Pumpkins, The Taste Of Watermelon And Sweetening Tomatoes

Once again my friends took the thread off in directions I wasn’t expecting
 

Saturday 18 April at 09:42 ·

Marrow seedlings hardening off on the windowsill. I have twice as many as I need so if 
Miss Doozer, Kentishlady, Mrs Leftfooter, Bodrhanman or any other nearby friend would like one let me know. I also have more pumpkin seedlings than I need.

Mrs Leftfooter  Yes please. To ANYTHING!!!

Mrs Elswitch We would love some. We are doing lots of gardening at the moment
Bodrhanman A few would be well received for the care home I'm working at please!
Paganess I only planted my seeds a couple of days ago, hope they come up as healthy looking as these!
Bentonbag The south facing bay window makes a wonderful green house, so starting off tomatoes and curcubids is really successful - provided I use decent compost.

Miss Doozer  Are marrows the same as courgettes?
McChurch Come on now Bentonbag, answer the Lady`s question. 
We`re all hanging on here with bated breath. Are they? Also, by the way, wassa curcubid?
Bentonbag Sorry, I've been away from the pc. Marrows and courgettes are both members of the curcubid family (as are cucumber, melons and pumpkin) but if a cougette is a concertina a marrow is an accordion. Fester (BSc MSc PhD FRES), who introduced me to the word, now tells me it's curcubit.
McChurch Wow. Just Wow!
Miss Doozer  Was Noah's ark not measured in Curcubits?
Bentonbag Well if it was gourd enough for him ...

Kentishlady  I would like a pumpkin if there's still one available, please.

Bess Cavalier Did you hear 'The Kitchen Cabinet' on R4 yesterday? Apparently if you sprinkle sugar on a chunk of cucumber and the close your eyes when you put it in your mouth it tastes like watermelon.
Mrs Jeremy  I love watermelon and so I am tempted to try this. I happen to have cucumber in the fridge. Have you tried this yourself?
Bess Cavalier No. Mr Cavalier hates cucumber so I never buy it as I can't eat it fast enough before it goes off? He loves any type of melon though.
Mrs Jeremy, I love cucumber and Mr Jeremy tolerates it. The thought of putting sugar on it (indeed, putting sugar on anything) is a strange one but I will try it and report back! 😁
Bentonbag My mum used to sprinkle sugar on her tomato sandwiches.
Bess Cavalier I always put a teaspoon or two of sugar in any dish that involves cooked tomatoes.
Bentonbag Mic uses tomato ketchup because he says it's sweet. I sometimes put a dollop of ketchup into cheap/ownbrand baked beans to make them more palatable for the boys.
Mrs Jeremy I have distinct memories of my dad and my uncle being in charge of 10 of us as children. My mum and my aunt had gone out for some much needed r and r and left the 2 men to make tea for all the children. They came up with banana sandwiches made with white bread which had been buttered and covered with mashed banana liberally sprinkled with sugar. I'm sure we all ate the whole lot but I can't bear the thought of sugar on bananas now!
Bentonbag Have you ever had a condensed milk sandwich?
Mrs Jeremy Bentonbag er no! 🤢🤮



No comments:

Post a Comment