Tuesday 7 April 2020

Say That Again

I was brought up in Carmarthenshire.  Fester’s from Sheffield.   
Before my parents passed away we took the boys down to Wales at least three times a year.  We still go back every year or so.   
Like many of my compatriots I am irritated by the regular, careless, and casual mispronunciation of our place names.

"I had Keith Floyd on the telly this morning, he was in Llandybie, and he pronounced it correctly."
How would you know?
"Because you've told me how;  often and at considerable length."

I've never quite forgotten, or forgiven, Fester calling it Landeebuy.
It's not a place I'm particularly fond of but it's the principal of the thing.

Mr Earth Things have principles?
MsPH It's so difficult though.  Many place names can't be worked out from mere spellings.
Bentonbag Perhaps, but he'd heard me say it plenty of times.  This may be racist but I'm afraid the majority of the monoglot English simply don't listen
Bentonbag I've just read this out to him and he said "Good God yes. That's not racist. That's just true."


For the benefit of the monoglot English it’s pronounced Llan-duh-bee-yeah
Duh as in dum
Bee as in insect
Yeah as is the Beatles’ She Loves You.

Or you can listen and learn on this link 

No comments:

Post a Comment