Tuesday 18 August 2020

A Day Off

 

If my Facebook records are to believed absolutely nothing noteworthy has occurred in my life on 18th August day (at least since 2009).

So I’m having a day off.

Here is a picture of some reversible woolly hats I’ve created from the squares knitted by the ladies of LDNE’s knit’n’natter group; who have been knitting at home and sending them in.

Mrs Patterns asked to talk to me during the last Zoom meeting.  She informed me she was knitting a blanket for her bed.   

Lovely.  
Then “When I’ve done all the different coloured squares can you sew them together for me?”  
Of course, would you like me to crochet a border too?  
“Yes please."

I’ve taken a leaf out of my Grandma, and other ladies of her generation’s, book, and taken to wearing gloves when out.  It helps keeps germs off your hands.  

As it’s summer I’m in the process of knitting myself a pair from cotton yarn using a pattern my mother made me write out and keep (“You’ll find it useful one day”).  Gloves were the only things Mum liked knitting, and she was very good at them.   I’m using the pattern in much the same way as my old media buying boss used a magazine’s advertising rate card, or Fester follows a recipe:   
“it’s just a starting point.”  I worked out a while ago how to create the thumb gusset by increasing stitches in the appropriate places on the appropriate rows whilst knitting the back and palm.  It’s smoother and lessens the need for fiddly sewing up.  As the pattern is for double knit wool I’m doing the cotton yarn on bigger needles so as to make the gloves loose and cool, but they’re a bit longer than I’d like for summer. I have a plan in mind to make the next pair shorter, and possibly include lacy backs for added coolness.

I had the sewing machine out again yesterday to alter a skirt.   It’s navy and white and had a 3 inch deep white waistband which was too deep and most unflattering.  It was also too loose on the waist and a smidgen too long.   

I turned the waistband back over itself to create a tunnel and ran through some 1inch wide elastic.  It’s much more comfortable now and if I lose more weight I can easily adjust the waist by tightening the elastic.

Which reminds me.

I have a button through skirt in the wardrobe that needs the front sewn up, otherwise the bottom button keeps popping when one sits down.

So much for a day off.

No comments:

Post a Comment