Wednesday 26 August 2020

Doll Therapy

This is what I was going to post yesterday until I got carried away by hiraeth and the River Towy.

25 August 2018 at 22:35 ·

My current project is dressing a doll to donate to the Admiral Nurses to give to someone with dementia (the ladies seem to find something to cuddle and care for soothing).   

I regularly see suitable naked dolls on sale in charity shops.   

Today I have been knitting a pair of leggings but the pattern needed to be adapted so the foot was more sock-like.  I discussed this with Fester and we agreed it was a sort of 3D Geometry problem.   
When I'd finished the first half/leg I tried it on the doll and showed it to him.

"It looks ok" I said "only it nearly goes up to her armpit."

"That's alright" says he "as long as it's comfortable."

I don't honestly think the doll's going to be that bothered about comfort.

Sweet of him though...

Sandy "Doll therapy" really can help some people with dementia to a remarkable degree. It's a proper kind thing to do and genuinely helps.

But there was that one time I tried to give a rather sweet little old lady her doll; she declined it quite politely, saying she'd been babysitting for the last three nights and it must be someone else's turn to look after the bairn.

 Here she is all dressed up and ready to go.
I called her Clementine.

No comments:

Post a Comment