Friday 28 August 2020

Rebuilding the Bower

Facebook post 28 August 2017

It being a Bank Holiday we didn't go to the community centre to water the allotment garden.

So I set Ferretfingers to cutting back next door's ivy (at her request). 

He's not responsible for all that heap of cuttings; just most of it.

 

In 1991, recuperating from the ileostomy operation which removed the tumour in his bowel, my first husband Phil built me a bower in the back garden, which we planted with sweet roses (Zephirine Drouhin). 

 

In September 1992, during his last week at home we would walk to the end of the garden and sit on the bench, him plucking the fruits from the fuchsia to encourage more flowers for the bees.

 

Time has taken its toll and the top trellis finally rotted and fell apart last year.

The posts and side trellises are ok.

 

Today I girded my loins and cut back all the excess forsythia, bramble, ivy etc. which had grown around and through it. Using leftovers from house and garden repairs, old tights and boot laces; 

I've put two small beams on top of the posts supporting a new trellis top.  The roses and honeysuckle that had grown up so high have been pulled down and laid across it. I've no doubt the forsythia, ivy and brambles will all come back under their own steam.

 

Mind you, when it all needs repairing/replacing in another 26 years I'm pretty sure I won't be the one doing it.

Comment from Thunderthighs "How did you do that? You're not a carpenter."
To which I replied "No. But I am a woman and a mother and an ingenious and intelligent one at that."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment