Saturday 24 September 2022

Shunting

“Being the youngest child of a Tyneside bred mother she often referred to me as “my little pet lamb”.  This went on well past childhood.  So much so that when I went to university and started writing letters home I would close with “lots of love from your little pet lamb Ben.”  This was soon abbreviated to “your LPL”, and was written on all Mother’s Day and birthday cards from me to her.  I believe I even put it on the label of the family wreath for her funeral.”

On the phone to Bigsister the other day I commented that sheep seem to have become a recurring motif in my life.

She agreed.
Yesterday it was my birthday, I am now officially a pensioner with a bus pass.
Bigsister’s birthday card to me, which included a picture of a lamb, read 
“I can’t believe Mum’s LPL is a pensioner”
The envelope included something small and soft in gift wrapping paper.
Sheep bunting.
Or as Thunderthighs said when I hung it up
“Shunting”

There may be no Tale of Chateau Midden tomorrow.

Tonight I shall be camping in my car at Druridge Bay Country Park to get up before dawn, watch the day coming and take part in the North East Skinny Dip.
If you wish to reward this madness donations to Tyneside Mind can be made on this Just Giving page.

No comments:

Post a Comment