Tuesday 22 September 2020

The Skinny Dip That Wasn't

In 2018 my birthday coincided with the Autumnal Equinox and the North East Skinny Dip, which takes place at Dawn on the nearest Sunday. 

Much to the surprise, horror and/or amusement of my friends and family 

I celebrated my birthday by taking part:  skinny dipping and public nudity was something I’d never indulged in before.

The previous night is the only time people are allowed to camp in Druridge Bay Country Park, and everyone must be up and gone by mid-morning.   

The camping and dipping fees help raise funds for Tyneside Mind.   

The event is wonderfully organised with RNLI, medics, caterers and all sorts on hand in case of accident or emergency and to ensure dippers can get breakfast afterwards.

 

It was such an exhilarating experience that I did it again last year, with over 700 others.  The organisers asked people to post something on their Facebook page about what the Dip had meant or done for them; this was my contribution.

“On March 2nd I lost a friend of over forty years to cancer and I've not really been myself since.  She would be so cross with me for being so maudlin!  I thought of her as I walked down to the beach in the dark before dawn.  But then the people, the atmosphere, my friends, bumping unexpectedly into a cousin, the disrobing, running hand in hand into the sea, the smacking waves almost lifting me off my feet, the reality, the innocence and the return to being a tiny child again.
I walked back to my car smiling, and yes I thought of Paula, but this time with a lightness of heart I thought I'd lost.
Thanks to all the organisers - you only know a little of the good you do.”

 

This year’s Dip should have been last Sunday, but the present unpleasantness meant that it’s had to be cancelled.

So I took the boys up to Druridge Bay and made Thunderthighs film me neither skinny nor fully dipping and nearer noon than dawn.

He looked mightily relieved when I stopped removing clothes once I’d got my jacket, shirt and t-shirt off ...

 

Here is part of the video.


My camping and dipping fees have become a donation to Mind.

If you enjoyed the video, or any of my blogs, please consider donating to Tyneside Mind, or your local Mind charity.

1 comment: