Wednesday 23 September 2020

Turning Sixty

Today is my birthday, but not a significant one.

I had a big ceilidh for my 50th birthday but hadn’t intended celebrating my 60th.

The week before Fester’s 60th his brother dropped dead; so his birthday started with a phone call from the pathologist with the cause of death (heart disease), followed by lots of other unpleasant ones to undertakers, solicitors etc. 

I’m not sure whether it was superstition or solidarity but I really didn’t want to make a fuss.

Our traditional birthday tea with my boys was really all I wanted.

Bigsister, however, thought otherwise.

My fault I suppose for using hers as an excuse to spend a weekend with my friend Paula in Kew, leaving a surprise bunch of 60 pink carnations on her doorstep on the way past.  The flower seller outside her tube station never forgot it.

A couple of weeks before my own 60th she phoned me with “Well Middlesister and I and the husbands are coming up so if you don’t organise something we will.”

Fortunately our oldest cousin’s birthday is the day after mine: I am the baby of our generation, which spans 22 years.  She lives just a few miles away so I  phoned her and suggested we have a joint birthday tea in the Grand Hotel on her birthday, satisfying family and treating a few close friends.

The sisters and spouses arrived on my birthday bearing gifts, including something very special which I wrote about on Facebook.

 

I've had some lovely messages, cards, greetings and gifts today (thank you every one) but the greatest treasure is this letter which my sister found amongst our parents' papers and photos. 
It's the letter Grampa wrote to Mum when I was born.   
I saw it once as a child (Mum had it safely stashed in a drawer) and I thought it had gone.   
My sister found it a fortnight ago just in time for this significant birthday.

When I was 20months old we moved into the family home in Carmarthenshire.  Grampa was in his late 70s and I spent almost every morning with him until I went to school when I was almost 5 and he almost 81.  He died in the November.

To suddenly have him so close today was such a moving delight.

Kentishlady How wonderful!
Bentonbag I've also been given two packets of photos, some of which I've never seen, even though they are of me, and have no recollection of them being taken, and little idea when.  Once I've sorted them there will be a massive scanning and posting!
Strawangel Lovely!
Fay What a precious gift on your special birthday. X
Pinkitchen Such a lovely letter, and beautiful writing! Happy birthday, Ben xx
Mrs Poett What special and deservedly lovely gifts!
Dulcima This sounds like a superb birthday present; it's lovely to be able to put a family archive together, for yourself and the rest of the family.

If you are good at deciphering you may be able to read the copperplate he learnt to write in the 1880s (I've left all the gossip in because I suspect most of those involved are long gone).



 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment