Friday 18 November 2022

A Change Is As Good As A Rest

... as Mother used to say. 

The Lockdowns meant that LD:NorthEast had to find different ways of helping their service users; wherever possible full use was made of information technology and the internet.  Management and admin staff worked from home and outreach workers turned into personal shoppers, or a meals on wheels service, so that those living alone could at least see a familiar friendly face once a day; albeit at the end of the garden path.  Within a few weeks regular Zoom meetings were set up so that people could see and talk with their friends or get advice, information and counselling.   

Ferretfingers would tune into the Wednesday Weekly chat, say hello to a couple of people and then wander off; leaving me to take over his headphones and join in.  I actually got to know some of the service users, and staff, better this way than I would have in the normal run of events.

From Facebook Archives

18 November 2020

Recently I've been knitting fiddly little things with fine yarn, more clothes for dementia dollies, and getting a bit jaded.
Then in the LDNE zoom chat this afternoon little Alison asked if I could do a knee blanket for her elderly uncle, who I made a twiddle muff for last year.
Such a nice change to get out a 5mm crochet hook and all those bits of stray and strange yarn that would be no use for anything else. I'm planning a mixture of crochet and knitted squares depending on the textures of the different yarns - all donated.
As soon as I say I volunteer at a charity knit'n'natter group people offer yarn and, as one of Mother's sayings was "Refuse nothing but blows", I always accept.  The stash will all eventually be used or go to a good home.

Uncle Jack's blanket

 

No comments:

Post a Comment