Sunday 20 November 2022

Operation Fireplace, part one

This house was built in 1926.  Sometime later whoever owned it replaced the original front room fireplace with something more ‘modern’ in white tiles which I never liked.  When we moved it there was a gasfire on the hearth, which we stupidly replaced with a coal effect one that gave out very little heat and looked miserable when out.  I had that, and the gas-pipe leading to it. removed during the great renovations of 2012 and a grate reinstated so that we can burn driftwood or logs.  Even so I still didn’t like the fireplace.

Then The Squireen offered me her fireplace which I’d often admired…
From facebook archives
No photo description available.
     

19 November 2019 at 13:48 · ·

Operation fireplace replacement Day One - the ugly old one is out (and no I don't mean Fester).

No photo description available. 

19 November 2019 at 18:19

End of Day One and first layer of plaster and concrete hearth is down. Will Fixit warned us to keep the cats off for at least two hours.
No photo description available.
20 November 2019 at 11:23
Which we did but we still had paw prints this morning - but I like them.
 
 No photo description available. 

20 November 2019 at 16:30

End of Day 2. The new fireplace is in, the wall is plastered and some of the littlest brass Welsh ladies, RAF etc horsebrasses and other bits have found a new home.  Now Fester and I must chose some tiles to surround the grate so that Will Fixit and fix them and paint the wall. 
It already looks so much better with a fireplace that is in proportion to the room and age of the house
Tylvebach Tan agored?
Bentonbag Ie, pren nid glo, gasclu o lan y mor (rwyn bard a ddim yn gwybod).(Wish facebook did circumflex accents, that looks wrong.)
Bazoukiboy  Let the cluttering commence! 😆
Bentonbag  Considering going straight for the advent candles once it's finished.

For those who haven’t got the language of our Lord the conversation between Tylebach and me was:-

“An open fire?”
“Yes, wood not coal, collected on the seashore (I’m a poet and didn’t know it)”

When I started school, sixty one years ago, I could already read in English so I was handed a Welsh picture book primer.  The first words I learnt were:-

Y tan – the fire
Y glo – the coal
Y mae y glo ar y tan – the coal is on the fire..
Yr oen – the lamb
Y cae – the field
Y mae yr oen yn y cae – the lamb is in the field.

No comments:

Post a Comment